Thursday, March 8, 2012

When You Sing You Begin With Do-Re-Mi

048
Kate is enchanted by musicals…

-At 3, we took her to see The Lion King the Musical. She watched without a hitch and at Curtain Call remarked, “I want to watch it again.”

-Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark…obsessed. She hasn’t actually seen it, but has viewed online videos of it multiple times. She got her own CD of it and needed to know what was happening in the play during each song. She now likes to give the entire play-by-play of the show to the two people who have actually seen it.

-Playtime for Kate: a microphone, stuffed animals, and one big talent show.

-Last year during singing time in Primary, it was noticed that Kate knew the words to “I’m Trying To Be Like Jesus.” When asked if she could recite the words aloud, she gladly accepted the invitation and took the stage by standing on her chair and performing the entire first verse.

-Recently Kate decided that instead of being a doctor (as originally planned), she now wants to be a “performer” when she grows up…
Huh.
“And my first show I’ll be in is The Sound of Music.”

Only a few examples, but you get the idea. The Mom and Dad decided that her aspirations are worth working toward (after all, Julie Andrews isn’t the worst role model) and signed her up for a musical theatre class, which she’s been in for a couple of months now.

Yesterday was “Master Class”; which means just a regular class, but where parents were allowed to watch. Kate single-handedly selected and performed the song “Do-Re-Mi.” Being the youngest in her class and first to perform, she was not scared at all. She started a little off-note, but quickly found her place and brightened up the room with her smile and sweet voice.
Kate Sings Do-Re-Mi
Oh! She was so proud of herself, which is so fun for a parent to see in their child. And, of course, we are so proud of her too.

Flowers are apparently “a must” after any and every performance. Yesterday morning, after reminding her about Master class, she asked, “Am I going to get flowers?” Good thing she said something or the Mom might have spaced that one.
066  065
Such a beautiful, talented girl! Can’t believe a four-year-old is capable of such big things!

4 comments:

  1. I have no doubt she will be lighting up many stages. She is adorable and so gifted musically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. And I'm not just saying that. Baby Kate is going to be big someday, and I'll tell the world that I was her first babysitter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's such a doll; what a performer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that might be the cutest thing I've ever seen. Totally reminded me of one of those E! True Hollywood Story videos of like Bieber or Britney Spears where its shows clips of them singing in talent shows as little kids. She really has a great voice, and was working it!

    ReplyDelete