Friday, July 6, 2012

Don’t try and church it up, Son. Don’t you mean, Joe Dirt?

We’re not very outdoorsy people; in fact, quite the opposite. I have a hard time letting my kids get dirty, even though I know it’s an essential part of development.

So I’ll count it a blessing that Dave’s family has started up “Canyon Thursday” for the summer. This means we all go up A.F. Canyon each Thursday and are forced to become one with nature.

002

Mmmm…here’s a fun game: climb up the dirt hill and slide back down. Oh, heavens.

Cole found himself right at home once we made our way to the lake for some fishing. The only thing better than a big old lake, is a big old lake surrounded with rocks, at least in Cole’s eyes. Brother entertained himself forever by throwing rock after rock into the water, which by the way, made for horrible fishing.

016017

021

028

Kate, Vertical Grin, and Grandpa

And the best part of the evening (but not really)…

039

Turns out even our kids have a limit as to how dirty they like to get. Lucky for us, we had a spare change of pants in the car. Phew!

And here’s most of the crew that made it that night, minus Brian’s family…

055

So in the wise words of Joe Deertay, “Life’s a Garden…dig it.” Glad to have nights like these to remind us to do just that.

4 comments:

  1. You know I love me some Joe dirt references :) that pic of Cole all dirty..I can hear Dave cringing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the dirt thing! I kept thinking about how you then had to put your dirty kids in the car to drive home and how their carseats and the car probably got all dirty too.

    That's fun you're doing a once a week canyon visit though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute little bums climbing up that hill. How are we ever going to go camping alone if you don't get over dirt?! J/k, I'm starting to think that should never happen. Remember the last time we camped and had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally sympathize with your dreams of kids magically staying clean while playing in the dirt... I have found that doesn't happen in real life. Thank goodness for good washers and nice warm baths!

    ReplyDelete