Saturday, April 14, 2012

R.I.P. Swim

Our carnie fish, Swim, took the eternal flush today. All jokes aside, we were sad to see him go.

I knew something was wrong when he didn’t happily devour his breakfast this morning as he usually did. Instead, he lay on the rocks at the bottom, breathing, but not responsive to my taps on the side of his bowl. A couple hours later I found him and my heart sank. Not only because this silly little fish that I had actually grown to love caring for was gone, but also because I knew our little girl had just lost her first pet.

I called up to Dave and he broke the news to Kate. They both came down. Her eyes welled up with tears the moment she saw him. Sobbing. She needed hugs and comforting.

After all the loves, the burial. Dave explained that fish liked to be buried in water instead of the ground and that’s why we would bury him in the toilet. The dad said a few nice words, the mom said some too, but when the sister started in it was hard not to cry. I can’t remember all that she said, and truthfully, through her tears it was hard to understand all that was said. But she did say he was the best pet she could ever have and that she was going to miss him.

And we will. I’ll miss Cole pointing at him and cheering, “Fish! Fish! Fish!”  And Kate talking to him like a real person, telling him random 4-year-old tidbits. Who knew a carnival fish could live so long, and furthermore, create such a soft, little place in our hearts?RIP Swim 002 Kate put it best when she said, “I still feel like he lives in me.” Me too, sweet Little Girl.

6 comments:

  1. So sad! She told me about it tonight and she re-enacted to me what he looked like in the tank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! Whilst I was away, so many blog updates! I for one, was happy enough with the "quasi" chocolatey, pouty lipped Cole :) Such a precious kid. I am also thinking of stealing your idea for the Tulip Festival and getting a golf cart. I think my grandparents might come with us if we did that :) Sad for Swim- we flushed our LIVE fish because Mark was sick of cleaning the tank. We so lovingly told Mc that "all drains lead to the Ocean" and she was satisfied :) Miss you at farm country today! We got to see two, two day old baby goats. Hope Cole gets better soon! LET'S GO OUT SOON! SHEESH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweetheart. I remember when I lost my first fish. It is tough stuff! So fun to see you the other day! You are absolutely gorgeous, and your kids are adorable! I miss teaching with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor swim! He was the best of pets (easy...happy...didn't poop around the house...easily replaceable...) I think we need a fish! Loved the telling of the funeral. So sad, yet sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. poor Kate, that is so sad! Good thing carnival season is coming up again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So tragic. Sounds like you handled everything well and no child therapy will be needed.

    ReplyDelete