Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Ho, Ho, Ho!

Christmas 2011 193Christmas 2011. In one word: perfect. I’m pretty sure I will NEVER forget it. In fact, this is likely the day I will replay in my head over and over when I’m old and gray.

It started off with Junior waking at 6:20am. I quickly fed Cole, and put him back to bed. Of course, that trick doesn’t work anymore. Cole kept on talking and sweet Dave got up with him.

Christmas 2011 199

The morning crept by, and sweet aromas tiptoed in. Darling Dave made pumpkin spice muffins and an egg, cheese, bacon, and potato casserole. There, lying in bed, I was suddenly saddened by my Grinchiness and hopped out. Why on earth did I not get up and spread the Christmas cheer like Dave did? Oh, I love him! Thank goodness for him.

Within minutes, we all woke Big Sissy, reminding her it was Christmas morning. Her eyes popped and she squealed, “I forgot!!!!”

Christmas 2011 204

With robes on, and holding little hands, we went downstairs to see what Santa had left for us.

Christmas 2011 197Christmas 2011 196

***Cole makes this smile where he squints his eyes and shows off every tooth in that mouth of his; this smile was CONSTANT on Christmas! We had NEVER seen that boy in such a good mood! He loved every toy! Dinos, b-balls, EVERYTHING! We could not believe what a pill he was!

 Christmas 2011 241Christmas 2011 274Christmas 2011 284Christmas 2011 283Christmas 2011 270

…if only we could have a song and dance, circus show every morning for that kid!

***Kate only wanted surprises this year, which made things really fun and easy for the mom and dad. She was thrilled by all that she got, except for one thing: the Sock Monkey stacking dolls.

“I didn’t want this!” she scorned.

Oh-----we’ll be sure to let Santa know.

Christmas 2011 260Christmas 2011 231

After church and a little more playing with toys, we went to Grandma Sherrie’s and Grandpa Lyle’s. We had some lunch, and then the kids opened presents from Grandma and Grandpa, and the adults did a white elephant gift exchange. Dave and I rid ourselves of some old, bizarre gifts I’d gained as a teacher, and got usable items: wrapping paper and sparkling cider. How lovely.

My parents did the 12 Days of Christmas for our family and each of my siblings’ families this year. We were treated to gifts like gloves, Whack-a-mole (the game), jammies, a dvd, etc.…so I certainly wasn’t expecting anything more from them. But they gave us a stocking with family zoo passes and a Texas Roadhouse gift card. What a fun surprise that we’ll enjoy all of next year (the zoo passes, that is).

I’m sorry, but isn’t this picture too cute for words? It captures Cole’s permasmile that he carried around all day:

Christmas 2011 335

Coler Bear with a polar bear

Couldn’t resist this picture either…Christmas 2011 303

Kate and Parker snuggled up playing video games

What a day! All I could think is, “What would Christmas be if I didn’t have my kids?” So grateful for their smiles and excitement over everything today!

And one more thing…in one day, this husband of mine made muffins, a casserole, jello, AMAZING crepes with a divine creamy filling, and hot, spiced apple cider. I dare say, I have an incredible husband. He pretty much made my holiday, with the help of two darling kids.

I say my favorite holiday is Halloween. That’s probably not true.

2 comments:

  1. This day sounds magical! You described everything so beautifully it made me want to be there! What WOULD Christmas be without kiddos? LAME- that's what! I love Cole's smile and I love that Kate told you exactly how she felt... too funny. That husband of yours sure is awesome, and lucky to have you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cole in a robe is Christmas to me.

    That's so great you had a perfect day. I love it when everything comes together like that.

    And what did YOU get from Santa?

    ReplyDelete