Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Fall Break

That long drive! That long drive I’ve done a hundred times before and swore I’d never do it again after leaving Dental School…we did that drive! Utah to California and back to Utah all within a few days. And we survived!

Grandma Sherrie wrapped up presents for the kids, which was a throwback to my childhood, and a fun time-passer for the kids. We left Wednesday evening, rolled into Vegas late that evening, slept at the Luxor, and then made the final stretch Thursday morning. Whew! We drove straight to Universal Studios that day. This was our first time back since Dave graduated so I think it’s been 8 whole years! Cole loves watching YouTube videos of the Jurassic Park ride, and Jaws, so it was time to get him there to see it in person.

089

090

ash iphone october 051ash iphone october 052

Monsters

100

The new Harry Potter Land under construction:

ash iphone october 054

Nearly every ride there these days requires 3D glasses, which if you know me, is like my LEAST favorite thing. So I was kind of bummed about that. But we did see more filming on the Back Lot Tour than ever before so that was pretty cool. Anyway, after a long day, we left the park and headed to Pasadena for dinner. We got to drive right through the center of L.A., which is always the biggest treat for me! I just love that skyline! We got to Houston’s for dinner; found that it was a 2 hour wait, so instead, hit the relocated El Cholo with no wait time. With a quick drive-by past the old love nest, we headed to Anaheim to check in at the Ayres Hotel Orange.

ash iphone october 058

The whole troop at dinner

The next day was Friday. We had tickets for Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland, which didn’t start till 4pm. We drove out to Huntington Beach during the day to play there. The kids had a blast! They collected seashells, built a mermaid sand sculpture (with a little help from the mom), and giggled about Cole’s shorts filling up with air as they played in the water! Meanwhile, Sherrie, Lyle, and Mike walked the pier and watched the fishermen, as well as the dolphins playing below. It was a great way to spend the morning!

ash iphone october 066

ash iphone october 071

ash iphone october 075

And finally…4pm rolled around! Kate dressed as Glinda, but forgot her crown in the car (the crown I hand-crafted myself and spent probably a whole hour constructing…boo), and Cole was SpiderMan. Dave and I failed yet again at dressing up!

ash iphone october 076ash iphone october 079

Uncle Steve and his family were at Disneyland too. We parted ways with my fam for a few hours to get some riding in with Steve’s fam.

124

Us with Steve’s fam riding the Jungle Cruise

ash iphone october 083ash iphone october 082ash iphone october 084

It was a fun night and I think my parents enjoyed Trick or Treating more than anyone else there! We stayed till closing at midnight, which made for two very sleepy children:

ash iphone october 060

Our last day there was supposed to be at Legoland. After many hours previously spent in the car, however, we cast a revote and ended up at California Adventure instead. It was a good call. We did all the riding we could want, FINALLY won the race on Radiator Racers, drank some delicious Ghirardelli hot chocolate, and bought souvies for the kids. We ate dinner at Corner Bakery at a mall a couple miles away from Disneyland and called it a day.

With a quick breakfast at the hotel the next morning, we were back on the road and headed for home. A short trip, but very efficient and fun! Not too sure I’ll make that drive again for another 8 years, but it was kinda fun doing it again…and by kinda, I mean, not really;) I think I’d rather fly!!

1 comment:

  1. No way. I swear you've been back since graduation! Anyway, sounds like fun trip! More fun than my trips with kids.

    ReplyDelete