We did have one hiccup right before leaving. As Dave was changing from his work clothes he asked, “Have you seen my shirt?”
“Uh… (you mean the one I secretly packed for you?)…NO!” I tried to say with a straight face.
I could tell he was running circles in his mind trying to figure out where that darn shirt had gone! It was an expensive shirt, so I understood his concern, but I just had to up and leave the room because I was sure he’d see the lies behind my eyes.
Alas, Dave got dressed in a different shirt and minutes later we were on the road. Not even a block from our house, he picked up his cell and dialed the cleaners. Maybe his shirt was there? Oh, heavens! My conflicted-self began battling over whether I should blow the surprise and tell the truth, or whether I should remain silent. I chose the latter. And it wasn’t easy. Well, SURPRISE, the shirt was not at the cleaners! Dave would have to look for it some more when he got home. Shirt saga over! Let the fun begin!
And so our night began! We made it up to Frightmares, just the two of us. It was completely romantical being all chilly outside and doing a date night at an amusement park; made me feel like we were a couple of kids in love…not to be gross. But TO BE GROSS:
THIS PICTURE; totally gross
An hour into our night, Kate called. Good news! She pulled out her tooth! Hiccup #2. Does the Tooth Fairy visit when Mom and Dad are away? No, not usually. So there I was instructing our niece on the phone,
“Well, Chels, I’m kind of nervous we’ll FORGET to do it when we get home. So just in case, there is a tooth fairy pillow in the closet and some money in the cupboard, etc…”
Meanwhile, Dave kept saying, “No, don’t make her do it! We’ll do it when we get home.”
Yes, when we get home…ugghh. There’s a reason people shouldn’t lie.
Anyway, the Tooth Fairy found her way, and the rest of the night went off without a hitch. There were no lines allowing us to ride to our hearts’ content, and even hit up several haunted houses. The haunted houses were (maybe a little) fun.
After 2 hours, I came to the harsh reality that my stomach is not as youthful as it once was. Luckily, I came to this realization just as we were leaving the park. Whew!
Next, we found ourselves at Ruth’s Chris. My stomach was slightly queasy, but nothing a little good food wouldn’t take care of! The food was delicious as always, especially since we were so hungry.
After dinner, I finally broke the news that we would not be going home (as well as confessed to stealing Dave’s shirt). The news was well-received and we checked in at the Little America. We had never stayed there before and I thought the rooms were great; probably as nice as Grand America and much bigger.
Our room was inconveniently located right outside the dinging elevator, which proved to keep me up all night. That part was less than fun, but otherwise, I liked it.
Before heading home we stopped for a perfect breakfast at Gourmandise. If you look up the word “gourmandise” (which we did), you’ll find that it means “to eat greedily” (which we also did). My hot chocolate was to die for, and our ciabatta breakfast sandwich and cinnamon french toast were also worthy of mention.

A few things to take away from this experience:
1. Don’t lie to your husband. It’s uncomfortable.
2. Monsters and cold weather are a fool-proof way to cozy up with your partner.
3. Good food conquers ride-induced stomach pains.
4. Definitely schedule another secret getaway. It was well-worth the planning and packing to get a REALLY nice night away with the one I love most! Love you, David Blackhurst!
How fun! Nice work on the execution.
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you! It sounds like so much fun. You two deserve it. :)
ReplyDelete