Friday, September 7, 2012

Labor Day

I like to think that SLC has its own Central Park. Sure it’s scaled down substantially (and maybe missing attractions like a zoo, and perhaps a major art museum), but Liberty Park has much to boast about: a lake, rides, an aviary, a small art museum, a pool, tennis courts, a snack shop, playgrounds, and splash pads. A very cool place, I think. So when Labor Day breezed in, we hit the park.

I’ve been to the Aviary many times. This day kind of disappointed. The bird show has been seriously watered down…very lame. And poor little Bear, attracted a bee with his bright yellow-striped shirt. That darn bee wouldn’t leave him alone, and eventually stung him! Cole was very sad. “Naughty bee,” is all he kept saying.

labor day 141

Shortly after, we were pretty much done with those birds. On to the rides!!

labor day 058labor day 046

I love how Cole kept his Hot Wheels clenched in his hand while riding the cars. Heavens, he’s darling!

labor day 093

labor day 110

Kate zipping along on the swings. I was really surprised she actually rode them. They flew crazy high and fast!

Ahh, the lake. We rented a paddle boat, and took a 20 minute ride. It was seriously so hot, and Flintstoning it only made things hotter. But I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

labor day 121labor day 119

 

Side note: Something funny about me is that all sunglasses give me headaches…there’s just something about the pressure on my nose and temporal lobes. I know, I’m a total nerd. Nevertheless, I’ve bought millions of pairs, wasted tons of cash, so I finally went to Walmart in search of the cheapest, lightest sunglasses I could find. Alas, I uncovered these little puppies! They are such the man glasses, but they are the first pair that don’t make my head scream, and I think they make me look just like the cop from Terminator…sexy, right? Just agree.

labor day 116

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Anyway, we were about starved by this point so we left the park to try out Bruges Waffles and Frites. I’ve long heard that this was the place, and had even seen it on Man Vs. Food. And I’m telling you, I must have died because I found Heaven. It was so dang good. Their fries were delish, and my Torpedo Waffle was dreamy, filled with dark chocolate, and topped with strawberries and cream. I must have eaten it entirely before I ever thought to take a pic. But Dave got one of his Machine Gun, which is the sandwich they’re famous for. He said afterwards, “I’m going to need to come back here like all the time.” Me too.

labor day 150

We hit up some sales at City Creek and then called it a day. A lovely one at that.

5 comments:

  1. I've never been to liberty park. You'll have to let me know the next time you venture out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come I've never done liberty park? It's a must next time we're in town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I have a sunglass problem too!! I can't get any that feel right and don't drive me nuts, so I never wear them and will probably get cataracts. Maybe Walmart can solve my woes too?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the sunglasses! But its not my nose that hurts, its behind my ears. I might have a really large head, but I always feel like I'm being squeezed to death. Maybe some man aviators are what I've been missing all my life.

    Mmm, yes, I love Bruges. So tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmm Bruges! Did you not love it!?!? And, I lived by Liberty Park when we lived downtown and I dont remember ANY of this cool stuff. We will have to go with you next time :)

    ReplyDelete