Monday, February 13, 2012

10th Valenversary

The Mom and Dad had an adventurous, romantic  weekend away without the kids. Uncle Rob and Aunt Jenny took sister and brother while we celebrated our 10th anniversary in NYC. Our Besties, Ricks and Paul, met up with us making for an even more magical time in the Big Apple.
We all stayed at Sanctuary Hotel:NYC 177NYC 001
It was a super swanky boutique hotel and I wasn’t sure if we were cool enough to stay there; alas, with free breakfast, chic décor, awesome baby-making music constantly playing in the lobby, friendly service, and the perfect location…we had ourselves a marvelous time.
NYC 174This is a pic right in the heart of Times Square; and if you can see the street signs, they say 47th and 7th. Our hotel was on 47th and in between 7th and 6th. So we enjoyed quiet, restful nights, all while being super close to everything.
NYC 182NYC 055
(L)Times Square; Red heart the glitz and hustle and bustle of this place. (R) Toys R Us Times Square in front of the giant ferris wheel.  
***Side note, can you see my little blue bag at Toys R Us? It was a ring from Tiffany that my darling hubby bought for me for our 10th. I felt very special.
Saint Patrick’s Cathedral: The largest catholic cathedral in the U.S.NYC 264
NYC 034
Everything there was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!
NYC 037   NYC 026
A major highlight: dinner at Hillstone. Oh, I seriously love their crab cakes.
NYC 041
Here we are at Rockefeller Plaza. We planned ice skating for the last night of the trip. OH, what poor planning that was! We all had major shin-splints by then which prevented us from showing NYC our amazing ice skating skills. SIGH.
NYC 017Dave in front of the Today Show News Studio:NYC 049
Statue of Atlas:
NYC 265
Visiting Lady Liberty. We didn’t get to tour her insides since she’s being renovated, but it’s always fun and a little surreal to see her up close.
NYC 075
NYC 107
NYC skyline
NYC 078
Ellis Island was a new place for both of us. NYC 099Fun fact: it’s estimated that 60% of all Americans today can trace their family history to at least one person who passed through the Port of New York at Ellis Island. I’m not sure that fact fits for me, but for Dave it does. Here’s Dave’s great-grandma’s name on the memorial wall. So neat!NYC 090Dave standing in what was once the Registry:NYC 079Below is the Federal Hall National Memorial. Our guidebook cited this building as the place where George Washington took oath as the first prez of the United States. While sort of true, it’s just the site not the actually building where he was sworn in.
NYC 110NYC 126
If you can read below, inside the building they had a piece of the balcony on display where George Washington stood while taking oath, so that was sort of cool:
NYC 116
NYC 143Just a block or so away is Ground Zero. The museum and all of the grounds are not yet finished, but the reflecting pools are done and really pretty.
reflecting pool at 9_11 ground zero
NYC 145NYC 149This is St. John’s, a nearby church, that stayed standing after the towers fell. It became a relief center where clergy counseled, love notes from schoolchildren were hung, more than a half million meals were served, and medical workers treated stiff muscles and burned feet. NYC 141
On the back side, is a cemetery that took more than 2 years to clean up the 9/11 debris.
The American Museum of Natural History:
NYC 158
Fun to see, but nothing special. We were so glad we showed up 45 minutes before closing and got in FREE! It wouldn’t have been worth paying for. Too many empty rooms and hallways (as seen below) for my tastes…NYC 164
…but we had lots of fun posing for pics:NYC 163
NYC 165We also got to do some sealings at the Manhattan Temple. It was a very small temple, but still very pretty.NYC 155
And, my absolute favorite part of the trip? Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark, at Foxwoods Theatre. It’s a new show, with all the original cast still there and the most amazing stunts, sets, and entertainment ever. Bono certainly outdid himself on this one. We had great seats; loved having Spiderman flying right over the top of us and getting sprayed with webs. So. dang. cool. Anyone would love it.
NYC 180
Dave and I saw Central Park for the first time and we loved that too.NYC 183
This is Bethesda Fountain, as seen in Home Alone:NYC 186
And the best find of the trip was the Boathouse in Central Park. A quaint restaurant set right on a lake, with great food and a man that tickled the ivories while we ate. There was something very Disneyesque about that place and we would have eaten every meal there if we could have (except for the one Hillstone meal, of course).NYC 190
The MET. This place was overwhelmingly large; so much to see. It would have been best had we visited it early on in our trip, which we did not. We were beyond exhausted! A funny thing about the Met: admission is a "suggested" $25 bones per person, which means, you can pay that or absoultely nothing and still get in all the same (minus the stink-eye you receive for paying less). Between Dave and me, I think we paid $21. I was disappointed in myself for not sticking to my guns and paying 5 bucks. Oh, well.NYC 194
Getting our “Egyptian” on…just moments before entering the Temple of Dendur.NYC 232 That’s right. I’ve been in a real Egyptian temple. Pretty freaking coolNYC 214
Also cool is this reliquary that supposedly holds Mary Magdalene’s real-life tooth. Hmmm…
Grand Central: the most widely recognizable train terminal room in the world, with its famed Sky Ceiling.
NYC 242
Dave taking it all in
The last night of our trip we did the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center Building). We had both done The Empire State building before and thought we’d give this place a whirl.NYC 261As you’re going up and down in the elevators, they glow and have lights flashing. I could have sworn I was on the Tower of Terror. Very fun.
NYC 245Although it was so cold, I’m so glad we did it at night! It was stunning! I even got to plant one on my sweetheart!
NYC 252
What a way to spend a weekend with the one I love most! I feel so lucky to have found my soul mate, and to have had 10 years of absolute happiness together!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a trip! It looks like you had a great time! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hotel looks amazing. Baby-making music, huh? You'll have to keep us posted on how that panned out...

    I think I would feel too nervous to carry a Tiffany bag in NYC, like someone was going to snatch it and run. What does the ring look like?

    Come on now, were the crab cakes better than your one true love - Houstons?

    Wow, those 9/11 reflecting pools look really cool. Very dramatic in the midst of all those high-rises.

    Um, are you sure you were only there for a weekend? Was it a realllllllly long 7 day weekend? How on earth did you fit all of that in? I'm perplexed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The baby making music scares me....baby #3 announcement in your near future????? That looks like an amazing trip and we are ever saddened that we didn't get to come. Can't wait to hear the deets in person and HAPPY HAPPY 10 years! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aish!! I'm still recovering from the whirlwind that was NYC! What a fantastic weekend trip, and a great place to visit. You didn't mention that snotty French place? Or those terrible cupcakes? And you really should have mentioned the shower. We had such a fun time traveling like a Blackhurst; it was painfully obvious that neither Paul nor I have Dave's orienteering skills on Sunday trying to make it back to Penn Station. Thanks for letting us follow you guys around! Happy Valenversary, you crazy kids! Next time my vote is for some place warm. A cruise?

    P.S. I lost my wallet somewhere...don't remember when I last had it...my money is on one of those guys who were flipping the camera off in Times Square. Why am I so flighty?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun for you guys! Always love the NYC. Yes...baby announcement or what??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey bloggers, Dave here: NO there are no baby announcements. We're doing great with two. Two is the new five.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dave, I thought 3 was the new 5. ???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheesh! You guys are always doing fun things. I think I need to convince Brian that we need to camp less and travel more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously! What a blast! I've never heard of that Spiderman thing but it sounds awesome. I love all of your pictures. You look beautiful, with your luscious curly locks! 10 years?! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome trip full of memories! Good thing Dave clarified re the baby music - I think you had everyone thinking #3 was going to be on its way. All in good time! Congratulations on your wonderful 10 years!

    ReplyDelete