So this was us on Day 1 of the cruise, right after getting on board. The first day was really pretty crappy. We had terrible weather leaving L.A., and several of us were seasick and nervous that the ship would be rocking like that the whole time. Luckily, it didn’t. And luckily, our seasickness ended (except, of course, until we returned to L.A’s stormy weather the following Sunday).
This was our love nest, Deck 6, room 6004:
They use the term “cabin” for the rooms, which seemed appropriate. I often think of cabins as a stuffy place where you rough it in the middle of nowhere. These rooms are tiny and not so luxurious all while sailing above the middle of the oceanic abyss…"cabins”, if you will.
These were our servers (L) Gordana from Croatia and (R) Buyani from Botswana:
They were darling. They screwed up our orders every night and were a tad slow, bless their hearts, but they were sweet. They, along with the rest of the crew, worked from sun up to sun down and managed to do it with a constant smile on their faces. It was seriously slavery…I don’t know how they did it.
Speaking of the crew members, we had one go missing on our ship. I know, right? Crazy, but so sad. They had to do a mandatory check of all staterooms to try to locate her, all to no avail. When we returned to L.A. after the cruise, her family was there, along with news crews, to meet up with our ship. It makes me sad for her family.
Moving on. The ship had 3 main restaurants (Triton’s, Animator’s Palate, and Parrot Cay), which we rotated through during the week. There was also the Beach Blanket Buffet and several other poolside food joints, and free room service in case you got the munchies.
The dining room in Animator’s Palate starts out with Black & White sketches on all the walls and picture frames. But throughout the dinner, color starts seeping in and by the time you leave, the pictures and walls are all colored in.
The food on the cruise was alright. I was enjoying the whole “order an appetizer (or 2), a salad, an entrée, and a dessert” thing, until about Day 4. By then, I was disgusted by how much I could engorge myself with. Plus, all the food started tasting the same and I was kind of turned off by the food from that point on.
There was, however, an adults-only restaurant, Palo, that you could book (if you were able to get a reservation), which we did. That food I DID NOT get sick of. It was awesome, and cooked on-spot (none of that premade food, like everywhere else). They served several courses, and my lobster ravioli deserves a shout-out. Not to be neglected of mention, it was also pretty romantical watching the sunset with my Baby too.
On board, we saw several plays and movies (hence Kate’s 3D glasses),
played Bingo and lost,
admired ice sculptures,
checked out the sites,
as well as the architecture,
lounged,
met up with millions of characters,
got dressed up for formal night and failed to take a family picture. Luckily, we got one of Cole Bear.
We celebrated Pirate Night, by dressing up and going to a pirate party on the top deck, complete with characters, fireworks and all.
Afterwards, Kate commented, “Mickey Mouse sure knows how to throw a party!” Yes, he does, Kate.
Another hot ticket event, was the Disney Friends Tea Party. It’s normally an impossible event to get tickets to, but Dave overheard someone in the hallway giving theirs away, and managed to score them.
I’m not so sure what all the hullabaloo was about. I mean, they taught you the correct way to drink tea, aka, apple juice (with pinkies up) and eat cookies (slowly, with small bites), and we got to learn the Do-si-do with Snow White, but really, not that neat.
We did enjoy our time at Mickey’s pool and waterslide. Between excursions and such, we didn’t get as much pool and sunshine as I would have liked, but we got the idea.
The only thing Kate loved more than the pool, was the Oceaneer’s Club, which is where you can take the kids to play free of charge, for as long and often as you or your kid wants. Seriously, kiddie paradise. They always had crafts, activities, and events at every moment of the day. They gave her pillow cases, a t-shirt, and multiple crafts. She won prizes from dance parties, and played with characters in there. She loved it. In fact, Kate frequently refused to leave “her class” when we came to pick her up.
On the last day, the kids could perform in a show on the Walt Disney Theatre Stage. If you know our child, that was right up her alley. It was mostly just dancing up on stage, but Kate (and her parents and grandparents) ate it up.
Dave and I managed to hit the spa a few times for some lovely treatments, so that was pretty much our paradise. I’m glad we managed to get some adult time.
And in case I haven’t said much about Cole, here he is sporting his captain’s hat souvenir. Thoughtful Dave decided Cole should get at least 1 souvenir and bought this for him. Seriously, people. This kid came from heaven. He’s that perfect.After 7 days on a boat, the parents were quite ready for home, but apparently, this one could have used a few more days.
~Prizes (or at least props) to anyone who read this post in its entirety.
Do you ever watch that Undercover Boss show? The CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line was recently on, and it did seem like slavery for all the ship employees. All the hard work, time away from their families, spotty access to communicate with their families while away...
ReplyDeleteYour food comments reminded me of the all-inclusive we went to in Mexico. Same thing. Gorge yourself the first couple days and then hate any and all food.
That pirate picture is awesome.
I get props! Looks like such a fun trip! I'm glad that you gave the inside scoop on the Disney Cruise. My fam is trying to decide what cruise to take next year. With only 3 kids and 10 adults, maybe the Disney Cruise would be one to skip huh? I think Jax and Marlie would love it, but maybe the rest of us would rather have a cruise without the characters and with the great food! SO fun though for your kiddos! Definitely need to put that on our list with Jax!
ReplyDeletelooks like so much fun! I have always wanted to try a disney cruise!
ReplyDeleteProps to me, too!! :) Love all the pics. Looks like such a fun time. Where will your next cruise be?
ReplyDeleteProps! I just have one question: On a scale of 1 to 10 what would you give your Disney Cruise overall?
ReplyDeleteWow!!!! Sounds like a blast! The pictures are all darling. You guys sure know how to have fun! In the past Disney cruises haven't sounded like this much fun...now I am kind of thinking they sound fun.
ReplyDelete