Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kid Swap

We've started a kid swap with Ryan and Dren; they get our kids one Friday night, we get their's the next. Not sure why we didn't think of this sooner because it's awesome. Truth be told, Dave and I have always done a lot of date nights and babysitters.  But ever since Cole came along, it's been hard for us to trust our little nieces with a baby.  Needless to say, this arrangement has resolved our issue. Here's our agenda from the past few weekends:

1st kids night (babysitting):
Dinner at Arby's and mini-golf at Trafalga.  Not the most fun night for the Mom and Dad, but the kids had a pee-in-your pants good time (literally...our kid, not theirs).

1st date night:
The movie, "Just Go With It."  We really liked it.  And it was super refreshing to finally see a movie made for grown-ups (and not for kids aged 3 and under). Being pressed for time, we had a quick bite at JCW's. Yuck. I hate that place.  Everything about it seriously makes me sick.  But a person's got to eat and when you're in Lehi, Utah there's not a lot of options.

2nd kids night:
Dinner at the Mayan, aka "The Indiana Jones Restaurant." We had THE BEST table in the joint.  Every time the divers jumped off I was sure they were going to land right on top of my greasy chimichanga* and fried icecream**.  I will say, the food is better; still not perfected, but better. The kids (and the Mom and Dad) truthfully enjoyed themselves.

*don't judge me
**I hear fried foods help with body sculpting?

2nd date night:
The Copper Onion Restaurant. Had never been there before, but it tickled our tastebuds.  We started with the antipasto platter because cheese, salami, and crusty bread always makes for a heavenly night.  For entrees, I ordered the cheeseburger and Dave got the beef stroganoff, and then we shared.  Oh, geez.  Would you all just go there and eat it for yourselves?  I am serious!  It was so beyond good.  And be sure to sit at the Communal Table (like we did). That's an experience. 

Sadly, we had to skip the dessert.  Dave was not happy about this, and would have preferred to skip our next activity.  But it was 7:00 darn it, and time for Samba dance lessons.  Yes, you read correctly, and, yes, I planned it, and, yes, it was freaking awesome.  We were the only couple in our class, along with some solo dude that frequents the place and (I'm pretty sure) had the hots for, Mandy, our teacher. 

Oddly, I was NOT good.  Ask Dave.  He wanted to "see my high school transcripts," claiming that there was no way I could have been a Cavette. RUDE. I, on the other hand, think YOUR moves were crazy sexy, Dave;) You can all vomit now. But it was dang fun! My apologies to the ballroomers in high school; turns out, they knew what was cool after all!

Can't wait to see what's in store for our next night on the town.  Suggestions on amazing restaurants or activities are appreciated.  It's Dave's turn to plan the next one:)

7 comments:

  1. so fun! What a great idea! If you ever wanna do a swap, let me know (Would 3 babies be a little much for you? hahaha) but seriously, I could easily watch kate and cole for you. they could come over to play and I could take them home when it was bedtime. Just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! That dance class sounds divine! :) Awesome...Copper Onion huh? Let's hit that up. Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great idea. I have always wanted to take a dance class with Brad. It is just getting him there is the biggest problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's JCWs? Never heard of it.

    Oh really? Is the food better at the Mayan? I went there YEARS ago and the food was so freaking nasty I've never gone back.

    LOVE the cheeseburger at Copper Onion. I've gotten it twice now.

    That is so awesome that you went samba dancing! I'm pretty sure Matt would slit his wrists before agreeing to that. But given my intense level of uncoordination, I might slit mine as well... So apparently we're a good match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You Blackhursts have all the fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to say "thanks" to you guys for agreeing to the kid swap. We as well LOVE it as does Hayden and Parker and we enjoy getting to have a baby in our house every other Friday night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am cracking up at the Samba lessons. That's a definite to do for us for our upcoming anniversary (if I win the bracket this year because Paul would never). I'll be getting Mandy's number from you.

    And for the record, she was a Cavette. I was there. I helped make GIC Trauma. I corrupted her with my "ring leader" behavior. But let's remember that just being a Cavette doesn't mean that you can dance J/K.

    ReplyDelete