Tuesday, June 23, 2009

USAT

Kate and I have been embarking on our USAT (aka: Utah Summer Adventure Tour). Being out of school, there's much I want to do with my little baby. I've got a list a places and things I want to accomplish with her before the summer ends. Some things have been totally lame, and others (a few) make me wish I'd discovered them a lot sooner. This little event was free (so who am I to complain?) but painful. We attended the Teddy Bear Picnic at Orem Public Library early in June. Even Kate who loves a story, and even more so, loves a Teddy Bear, could not wait to get out of this one. If you could see the look on the whited-out face, it would be one of misery. She did, however, enjoy sitting and reading library books with me prior to the show, so it wasn't a complete let down.

Tracy Aviary was part of the tour...pleasant surprise. No need to discuss that one (since I already posted about that).

Well, today we visited the John Hutchings Museum in Lehi. Hmm... where to start? Well, the good news is that during Lehi Round-Up week, admission is free. The bad news...admission should always be free. The place is just full of creepy knick-knacks and collections; items like barbed wire, and buttons, yes buttons!


In fact, I took a moment to snap a pic of the button collection just to be a smart-aleck. Just then, a museum guide approached and said, "Oh, are you a collector?" I (kicking myself for being such an ingrate), replied, "Oh, no." The conversation continued...

"Beauty of a collection, though, huh?" said the guide.

"Yes, really," replied the ingrate.

"You know, the woman who lent us that collection has more buttons at her home. I bet if you called her she'd let you come over and take a look at them. I can get you her number."

"Oh, no, that's fine." Yes, I'm quite the jerk.

There were a few exhibits of note like...

The jail cell. This baby was used until the 1960's right there in Lehi. The creepy bearded-woman in one of the jail cells was also worthy of mention ...








The saber-toothed cat,

the extensive rock collection (being shown off by our model, Kate), Butch Cassidy's gun, and some Porter Rockwell findings. On a scale of 1-5, I think I'd give the place a 1. Good for Lehi for having a place to put people's junk, but REALLY...not so neat.

After the museum, Kate and I spent the afternoon at the A.F. swimming pool. She is just so much fun. She REALLY loves swimming. We had to go down the big slide, "Again," and "Again."

6 comments:

  1. Oh my heck Ash--you crack me up!! I love reading your blog, you are so funny!! Glad to know about the measum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for getting out - even if you are an "ingrate". Our Phoenix Zoo rhino is always hiding or far away too. Must be a rhino thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That museum sounds like a place only George could love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandpa Porter and I are offended that you don't like his junk! So, what's the difference between that museum and the D.I.? You should take Kate there too. Glad you're getting out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true. I've always wondered about the Hutchings, but, I've heard enough raving from the wrong yocals and critique from the right locals to know to skip it. Sorry. Well, you'll always have the ex-ZCMI-mannequin/prisoner to make you cringe and remember the place! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does your blog background have big buttons on purpose to match your ingrate story? Just checking. That was really hilarious. Really, what do buttons have to do with vets? They didn't even look like cool buttons.

    Nice zoo shots!

    ReplyDelete