Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dare Devil

Kate and I went for a swim at the old A.F.City Rec. Center yesterday. It's funny...that rec center really isn't that old, but it's already quite dated. When I first went walking through the changing room I thought, "Hey, this is totally different. The layout and colors are new." Upon further contemplation I thought, "Hey wait, isn't blue a boy color? Why would they put blue in the women's changing room?"
"CRAP!"

There we were...just a couple of girls parading around in dangerous territory. We high-tailed it out of there, up until the point of exiting, of course. I then put on my "Hey, it's cool to hang out in the men's restroom even if you're a woman" walk. After a quick glance to be sure no one saw me, Kate and I then proceeded to the women's changing room and to the pool. So WHAT?...After "chillin with dudes," Kate was ready for a swim. It was her first swimming lesson, so we started with the basics: blowing bubbles in the water, kicking the feet, floating on the back, and jumping from the side of the pool into my arms. Oh, how recklessly bold my little child can be. She was not scared whatsoever. Her favorite part was going down a big, red slide into a splash of pool water all by herself. She's not even two yet!
I kept watching two other "Go, GO, GO moms" who were giving their little tots lessons. Much yelling was going on, and it was evident (let's be honest) how disappointed they were with their wimpy, might I add, "older" children. Not this mom! Kate did a stellar job of showing off her skills.
Anyway, Kate had a great time and threw a fit upon leaving...typical. She was quickly calmed when we got to the car. She loves to pretend to drive. Did I tell you this child is adventurous!?

8 comments:

  1. Kate is so stinkin cute! I cant even handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite the adventure! Way to go Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! At least it sounds like no men were changing into their swim trunks when you were parading around in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish we were there to swim and go to Carraba...hell, we wish we could live in your neighborhood! We miss you guys! July can't come fast enough. So, what does Ms. Kate want for her big birthday? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good ol' AF Rec Center. I remember when it was new. Eesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just laughing, because the whole "men's room" thing is something that would only happen to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aish!! Were you just insulting my wimpy, older child? J/K. I'm pretty sure your kids will be the athletes. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brave little soul! I love that you slowed yourself to a cool and calm pace upon exiting the men's room. Way to be!

    ReplyDelete